Sunday, January 30, 2011

State of the Union Address

   I do not find politics to be very interesting, although I do know that it is important to stay updated on what is happening in my country. I found President Obama's speech to be very captivating and interesting, but I was also disappointed that I didn't learn much about our country's current situation. Obama seemed to focus a lot about "the future" of America, but didn't do much in addressing the problems that we currently face. It was nice that a sense of hope was shown throughout his entire speech, except I felt like it would have been better to show how and why we are doing these things for the future, rather than just saying he is going to have them happen.
   The one part I enjoyed most about Obama's speech was when he talked about the topic of education. He explained the importance of focusing on a student's education, because there is nothing more important than learning. I completely agree with him; our future is in the hands of the students. We must put all our effort in allowing students to learn and gain knowledge that will help our country grow. Since I plan on being a teacher when I'm older, I really appreciated when Obama showed his respect for the teachers in our country. He made a comment that each and every teacher makes a difference not only in the life of a child, but a difference in the nation as well. This really made me feel even better about my decision to study secondary education in college. I also thought it was really smart when he told the country that we should learn to praise the winners of the science fair, just as much as we cheer for the winners of the Superbowl. Education is an incredibly important part of life that too many people don't care about. Obama made himself perfectly clear that he would spend a lot of time and money fixing up our education system in the United States.
   There were a lot of other topics that Obama talked about, such as the importance of innovation and clean energy sources. Overall, all aspects of his speech focused on the positive. For example, even though our economy still needs a lot of work, Obama chose his words carefully and said "our economy is growing." The main thing I gained from listening to the State of the Union Address was that our country needs to focus on our future, and that we need to have hope and motivation to make a change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment