Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Final Project Days 1 & 2

     I have decided for my final project that I am going to focus on the topic of bullying. Along with that, I am planning on comparing physical bullying to cyberbullying, as well as making the connections and studying how school shootings and teen suicide corresponds to bullied teenagers. I plan to study about why people get bullied, but more importantly, why the people who do the bullying do what they do. I also want to research the straight-foward facts and statistics about bullying, because I believe that will give other people a sense about how serious this issue is.
    To help me with this project I have been reading the novel Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It is a fictional story about a boy who was constantly bullied, and as a result, he entered his school and shot and killed multiple kids. Although the story is fictional, it seems incredibly realistic and truly shows how teenager feels these days and why they choose to act the way they do. I have also watched Elephant, which relates well with this topic. I also hope to study a lot about the Columbine school shooting, because it will be a crucial element in my research.
     My main goal from researching this issue is to make myself, as well as others, more educated about this issue. Bullying is very serious, but if people are not educated about what is happening at their schools, then it can't be stopped. Hopefully when presented with the facts, people will recognize the level of importance this issue has at our school, and hopefully, this will inspire people to make a change in how they treat other individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment